[PLUG] Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:57:58 UTC 2007

# from Quentin Hartman
# on Wednesday 01 August 2007 04:29 pm:

>What is going on
>in the Linux world that is competitive with Visual Studio? Anything?
> The only thing I can think of that comes close is Eclipse. Is there
> anything else?

kdevelop /maybe/

Does mono have an IDE?

For the "real hackers", it tends to be either vim or emacs.  I know,
that frightens the newbies.

The thing is, unlike qdos, Linux has a good command-line.  It (and *nix
in general) also has a long history of small, specialized tools.  The
shell is the shell, the editor is the editor (except of course for
emacs, which I hear is a great operating system.)

The other thing is, who's going to build it?  Those who have been around
a while are typically happy with what they have and don't have an itch
to scratch -- able, but not willing.  Those who want a beginner's IDE
are willing, but (by definition) not able.

What about commercial options?  Well, the competition (MS) is giving
their tools away for "free", so how to match that and make money?

Better tools are still being built, albeit slowly.  They still tend
toward higher ease-of-use (power) at the expense of ease-of-learning
(simple-ness) though.

Ubuntu sure has nice icons, doesn't it?

--Eric
--
[...proprietary software is better than gpl because...] "There is value
in having somebody you can write checks to, and they fix bugs."