[PLUG] Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 00:18:06 UTC 2007

On 8/1/07, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
> # from Quentin Hartman
> # on Wednesday 01 August 2007 04:29 pm:
>
> Does mono have an IDE?

MonoDevelop: www.monodevelop.com

Last I tried it (~6 months back) it was ages behind #-Develop, the
Windows-only project it forked from, and it had many deficiencies I
couldn't deal with. (No support for gmcs, the c# v2. compiler, keys
strokes were hard-coded in the source, and their development team has
a policy of using 8-space tabs, to name a few.)

> The thing is, unlike qdos, Linux has a good command-line.  It (and *nix
> in general) also has a long history of small, specialized tools.  The
> shell is the shell, the editor is the editor (except of course for

I think this is the core of it.  The unix philosophy doesn't apply
that well to integrated development environments.  This is also (IMHO)
why vim and emacs are so popular.  The editors don't actually *do*
that much, but they provide an infrastructure that can be used to tie
all these extremely "accurate" tools together.  You can run make from
emacs, and emacs understands gcc error syntax and ctags files, so you
can navigate with those. You can create a shell in a buffer and save
the output of an interactive session to *scratch* where a couple
regex's turn it into the test oracle you need to get to that bug
you're looking at in the GDB-mode window on the other desktop...

Vim provides similar capabilities, I'm sure, I just don't know them by
name, and window managers can accomplish many of these tasks too, if
configured to do so.

*Linux* is an integrated development environment with more
capabilities than any programming tool MS has ever pushed on their
customers.

Maybe we just need to make an environment configuration that is
targeted at development, and provide an easy way to use that in
concert with the non-programming UI people expect.

--Rogan