[PLUG] Re: linux IDEs

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu Aug 2 13:36:29 UTC 2007

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> And I'm still pondering what can be done with foot-pedals.

They made E. Power Biggs' name a household word a few years back. :)

> We might have touched on it a little in this thread, but aptitude and
> CPAN are really great reasons to use open source.  The ability to
> automatically resolve and satisfy complex chains of dependencies with
> zero procurement hassle means *writing less code*.  Better
> coordination, search, QA, automation, and other improvements will
> continue to add usefulness and power.

Interesting you should mention aptitude and CPAN. One of the things the
LSB working group finally got around to addressing is the plethora of
packaging/repository schemes, some good, some bad, few inter-operable
without massive effort, heavy automation, or both. Gentoo has a fairly
tight integration with Perl, Python and Ruby package repositories,
although it could be better, but they *don't* have any integration with
the R language repositories. Debian, on the other hand, has a good chunk
of the R language repository packaged, as a result of the efforts of a
single developer, Dirk Eddelbuettel. An "open source packaging standards
base" is sorely needed.