[PLUG] Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:41:18 UTC 2007

On 8/1/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:

> > - Reducing the number of Desktop Environments?
>
> It's a nice dream, but I don't think either Gnome or KDE is going away
> soon. I've actually come to like Gnome in recent months. :)

Whoa! We're down to only Gnome and KDE now? This is one of the things
that I really hate about the Ubuntu movement.  (The other biggie is
that the division between UI and the rest of the computer's
capabilities is being blurred to oblivion.  In a few years you
probably wont be able to do *anything* useful w/out an xserver
running, unless you really dig into customizing your system.)

There are many, many fully functional, efficient and sexy desktop
environments / window managers out there, but their popularity is
declining because no one has made a *new distribution* that installs
one of them by default.  I don't know how many times I've heard some
one complain that they'd like to use KDE but the don't want to
reinstall their system with kubuntu.
</rant>

(if you haven't, do your self a favor this weekend and 'aptitude
install' some of these: enlightenment, fvwm, xfce, openbox, fluxbox,
blackbox, afterstep, Window Maker or IceWM.  The *box varieties have
even been ported to windows! After the install, logout and the new
options should be on the session list in the graphical login screen.)

--Rogan