[PLUG] Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

Kenneth B. Hill ken at scottshill.com
Fri Aug 3 04:27:03 UTC 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Bill Ensley wrote:

> Are you commenting on just the last few entries in this thread,
>
> or have you followed the whole thing.
>
> This topic did start out as a "General Linux/UNIX discussion and
> help;".
>
> The initiating user wanted comments about how a LAMP system
> compared to
> tools
>
> available from Microsoft.
>
> I am afraid that my "snarky" comments caused the thread to stray
> from the
>
> original purpose, but I wholeheartedly feel that we should be able
> to debate
>
> when and where and why a linux based system should or should not be
> used on
> this list.
>
> -Bill Ensley
> www.bearprinting.com

Bill,

Thank you for supporting my question on this list. I was only wanting
to learn some web development (a.k.a. IDE tools) available for the
Linux/LAMP platform that is similar to the the Microsoft Visual Web
Developer IDE tool for use on the Microsoft platform. My intention
was not to promote one tool/platform over another.

I describe myself as an "application developer". Put another way, I
develop/crate software applications using existing tools (e.g., the
tools being Ruby, Rails, VB, Perl, PHP, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Apache,
IIS, SQL Server, etc.) depending upon my clients' requirements. What
I am experiencing more of lately, is the client requiring a specific
platform (i.e., Windows or LAMP); actually, most of my clients prefer
Windows over LAMP.

If I sound like a frustrated "application developer", then I
apologize, but I'm just sharing my experience in my "working world".