[PLUG] Small business email and DNS

Sean Whitney sean.whitney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:29:22 UTC 2007

My small company recently moved our email to gmail.  It's pretty slick,
and works good.  This took a tremendous load off our server as it was
trying to filter spam, handle email, web pages and svn repositories.

This is all well and good, but we need to keep request tracker (our
ticketing system) working.

It works with the /etc/aliases file, when email comes it it's processed
and put in the appropriate queue.

With gmail handling all our domain traffic, this broke.

My solution is to create a subdomain, rt.ourdomain.org and leave that
subdomain email server at our server.

So I created the subdomain

$ORIGIN   rt.ourdomain.org
             IN   A   10.10.10.10
mail      IN   A   10.10.10.10
             IN   MX   mail.rt.outdomain.org

and added it to our domain file.

I'm still not getting what I need though,

dig rt.ourdomain.org MX

returns nothing, but

dig mail.rt.ourdomain.org MX

returns mail.rt.ourdomain.org