[PLUG] 64-bit & Multi-Core Desktop Experiences?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:31:38 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Eli Stair <eli.stair at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The issue with flash and other browser plugins is a non-issue. While
> > most distros include the 64-bit compiled Firefox, you can also just
> > grab the 32-bit version and run that, while being able to install your
> > standard plugins to your hearts' content.  I actually find the 32-bit
> > Firefox is frequently more responsive than the 64-bit as well.
>
> Doesn't that require a 32-bit chroot?

It depends on the distribution.  Fedora, for example, allows
installing many 32-bit and 64-bit packages simultaneously including
all of the libraries.  This means it is possible to install
firefox.i386 and firefox.x86_64.  There is even a package in the
newest version, firefox-32, which switches /usr/bin/firefox to the
32-bit version.

 - Ian