[PLUG] OT: Recommended Web Sites for Middle School Science Questions

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Aug 6 21:42:39 UTC 2007

Dan Young wrote:
> On 8/5/07, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Can any recommend some good web sites to send an inquisitive middle
>> schooler to? On his own, he came up with the question of whether a
>> marble you throw in the car travels only as fast as you throw it, or
>> does the speed of the car have any effect. He asked my sister, so I have
>> until next Sunday to refine my answer, and come up with other resources
>> for him.
>>
>> BTW, I know that the answer includes the speed of the car. I'm just
>> looking for a good way to explain it to him.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GYywkoaZCk
> Domo arigato!

Excellent! A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when those
words are in Japanese! But, it does demonstrate that the speed of the
truck is added to the speed of the object thrown. In this case
subtracted, since the baseball is shot backwards relative to the
direction of travel of the truck.

Thanks!

--
Regards,