[PLUG] 64-bit & Multi-Core Desktop Experiences?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Aug 7 03:23:59 UTC 2007

Paul Mullen wrote:
>> and of course I run Gentoo on it now, but I think Debian is exactly the
>> right combination of stability and "freedom" for a 64-bit box.
>
> 64-bit Linux doesn't suffer from various odd "quirks" anymore? Other
> than not being able to run Flash (indeed, a tremendous hardship)...

Once I discovered that the tech who built the box was mistaken when he
said it would function with a single RAM stick, everything else just
fell into place. I don't know how many generations of the major
community distros have under their belt on AMD 64, but CentOS 5/RHEL 5
and Debian Etch are solid and appear to be quirk-free on my system. But
that's just boring -- gimme the 2.6.22 kernel, gcc 4.2 -- no, wait on
that compiler, it's got some issues -- and some nice number crunching to
fill up my (now-paired) 4 GB of RAM. :) Quirks? What quirks?