[PLUG] Which VNC?

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Tue Aug 7 20:42:36 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Mel Andres <mel97215 at comcast.net> wrote:
> My small desk is crowded with keyboard/monitor for my home Linux system,
> and the work wind-duhs laptop. I use tightvnc at work to connect to some
> remote systems. It occurred to me that I could gain some space on my
> consensus reality desktop, by moving the laptop elsewhere, and
> connecting to it via vnc. Easy enough to set up the vnc server on the
> winbox. But which vnc setup do I need to use on the Linux side to
> connect? Both are connected to my Belkin router/gateway. I tried openvnc
> without success.
>
> Belkin     192.168.X.1
> Linux       192.168.X.3
> Laptop    192.168.X.4

I don't know which distro you are using, but under Debian here are the
packages I am using
dpkg --get-selections | grep vnc
libsvncpp0c2a                                   install
vnc-common                                      install
xvncviewer                                      install

There is also a
xtightvncviewer - virtual network computing client software for X
which I am not using, but which might work for you.

What didn't work about openvnc?

Bill Barry

This works fine for accessing vnc on a windows box.