[PLUG] Which VNC?

Mel mel97215 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 17:16:25 UTC 2007

Bill Barry wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Mel Andres <mel97215 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> My small desk is crowded with keyboard/monitor for my home Linux system,
>> and the work wind-duhs laptop. I use tightvnc at work to connect to some
>> remote systems. It occurred to me that I could gain some space on my
>> consensus reality desktop, by moving the laptop elsewhere, and
>> connecting to it via vnc. Easy enough to set up the vnc server on the
>> winbox. But which vnc setup do I need to use on the Linux side to
>> connect? Both are connected to my Belkin router/gateway. I tried openvnc
>> without success.
>>
>> Belkin     192.168.X.1
>> Linux       192.168.X.3
>> Laptop    192.168.X.4
>>

> I don't know which distro you are using, but under Debian here are the
> packages I am using
> dpkg --get-selections | grep vnc
> libsvncpp0c2a                                   install
> vnc-common                                      install
> xvncviewer                                      install
>
> There is also a
> xtightvncviewer - virtual network computing client software for X
> which I am not using, but which might work for you.
>
> What didn't work about openvnc?
>
> Bill Barry
>
> This works fine for accessing vnc on a windows box.
>
>> Mel Andres

I was on kubuntu at the time. I also am running SimplyMepis on a
different partition. Normally I run on stable version of somthing, and
play with something more leading edge in the other. Right now, both
linux's are beta releases, and I have munged something or another in
both. I am going to wipe out kubutu and install Lenny for my more stable
release and try not to muck with it too much.

I got it working here on the mepis distro. I used your dpkg output as a
guide. I apt-got libsvncpp0c2a, vnc-common, and xtightvncviewer. Ran the
viewer, and it worked.

  Thanks,
             Mel