Stomper Labels - Re: [PLUG] Lightscribe sux

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Aug 8 22:13:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 07:03:06AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Several years ago (maybe 10) I bought a CD Stomper at Fry's. It's a
> heavy plastic base with a pop-up spindle. The spindle has two diameters.
>  The diameter of the lower part is the size of the hole in the label.
> About an inch up the diameter reduces to the size of the hole in the
> CD/DVD. You put the label over the spindle, sticky side up, and move it
> down to the base. Then you put the CD/DVD on the spindle, data side up,
> so that it rests on the top of the larger diameter part of the spindle.
> Then, push that down until it meets the label. Take it off the spindle,
> flip it over and work any bubbles out. I've never had trouble with it.

Agreed; I use the Stomper also, and have applied well over 3000 labels
over the past few years (remember all those Knoppix disks I used to
pass out?).  Jason may have been using a different brand of label and
applicator.  I have never had any misalignment problems.  About three
times the label tore as it came off the page, and about 6 times I put
it on the wrong side :-).  The printer does far more damage to the
label sheets (jams, fuser problems) than the application process does.

Regards the problems I mentioned in a previous posting, about chemicals
from the adhesive affecting the data surface - I have not seen any
problems, but one of my Knoppix victims :-) may have.  Google for
rants about label damage for different experiences.

Keith