[PLUG] Distro Suggestions?

Ken Hill ken at scottshill.com
Mon Aug 13 00:42:54 UTC 2007

john morgali wrote:
> I have a very old Toshiba Portege.  It is very small,
> thin, and light. It has a magnesium case, and is very
> convenient to tote around.
>
> The problem I have is I need to find a distro to run
> on it. It is a pentium 233, with 32 megs onboard
> ram(and a proprietary ram slot for another 64megs, not
> used). It has an external bus connected floppy drive,
> and an available USB port for an external cd/dvd rom.
> It also has a 2 gig hard drive in it(which is very
> burried).
>
> I have wireless ethernet available, and a variety of
> cards I can use for this in it. Worst case, I can use
> a pcmcia ethernet card for it.
>
> I dont want to do anything special with it, just
> something for web based email and some streaming music
> while on the road. I want a GUI interface, any desktop
> environment is fine, but lightweight is a must. Easy
> package management would be a huge plus.
>
> Can anyone suggest a distro that will not be fully
> outdated, and will be fairly easy to install with
> these limited restrictions? I have wireless ethernet
> available, and a variety of cards I can use for this
> in it. Worst case, I can use a pcmcia ethernet card
> for it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
>
> John
>

> Pursuant to U.S. code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon State Law, any and all unsolicited  commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting fee.U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.Consult http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html for details.

I suggest trying Ubuntu or Mandrake. I have used both. Mandrake may
require a monetary purchase. You can download the install CD for Ubuntu.
Both Ubuntu's and Mandrake's install process is very easy to follow. If
you prefer the Gnome desktop, then I suggest using Ubuntu. If you prefer
the KDE desktop, then I suggest using Mandrake. If you don't care about
a desktop environment and you prefer using the command line, then you
may want to consider Gentoo; however, Gentoo's install process is fairly
time consuming.

-Ken