[PLUG] Distro Suggestions?

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 00:53:00 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, john morgali <aarghj at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The problem I have is I need to find a distro to run
> on it. It is a pentium 233, with 32 megs onboard
> ram(and a proprietary ram slot for another 64megs, not
> used). It has an external bus connected floppy drive,
> and an available USB port for an external cd/dvd rom.
> It also has a 2 gig hard drive in it(which is very
> burried).

  I had a similar set of requirements for an old Dell Inspiron 3500
that I fixed up for a friend.  She wanted it to use the machine for
field astronomy and to access the occasional open wireless AP.  I
tried a number of the full size and small distros, but none of them
fit my needs.

  The limited CPU cycles and memory of the target platform was the big
issue.  The big KDE and GNOME based distros all had race bugs in the
GUI that eventually killed the machine.  The dedicated small distros
ran well, but were all missing features or apps I was looking for.  I
ended up loading the machine with Xubuntu, running the Xfce desktop.
It's been up and running for around 8 months now with no major issues.

Steve D...

--
Blake's Law:
1. In any discussion of atheism (skepticism, etc.), the probability