[PLUG] Distro Suggestions?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Aug 13 01:50:07 UTC 2007

Ken Hill wrote:
> I suggest trying Ubuntu or Mandrake. I have used both. Mandrake may
> require a monetary purchase. You can download the install CD for Ubuntu.
> Both Ubuntu's and Mandrake's install process is very easy to follow. If
> you prefer the Gnome desktop, then I suggest using Ubuntu. If you prefer
> the KDE desktop, then I suggest using Mandrake. If you don't care about
> a desktop environment and you prefer using the command line, then you
> may want to consider Gentoo; however, Gentoo's install process is fairly
> time consuming.

1. Even though the minimal Gentoo installer CD-ROM (about 50 MB) is
command line only, you can install a desktop with it over the network.

2. I'd be surprised if any full-sized (700 MB) LiveCD/GUI installer
could survive in only 32 MB of RAM, although I'd love to see someone
prove me wrong. :) I'd be looking at the tiny ones like Debian's boot
image (under 10 MB IIRC), Damn Small (still under 50 MB IIRC) or
Gentoo's 50 MB. Gentoo *does* have a LiveCD/Install CD now, but I think
it's i686 or better, not i386 or i586.