[PLUG] Distro Suggestions?

john morgali aarghj at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 03:42:15 UTC 2007

> Yeah ... Portage is about 100 MB now, whereas the
> little chunk of disk
> that APT uses on a Debian box is pretty small.
>
> Browsers -- Damn Small used to use Dillo, but IIRC
> you can install it
> and then get Firefox. If it's *just* browsing you
> want, the text
> browsers will work. But Dillo is OK if you don't
> need
> Java/Javascript/ActiveX stuff -- just text and
> pictures. Downloads you
> can do with text-based utilities like curl and wget
> if you have to.

Ok, so I think that Gentoo, Debian, and DSL will run
on it fine...  I am a little worried about package
management and availability will be severely limited
with DSL...  I can do an internet install with Debian,
but I am concerned that it might be too much OS for my
limited hardware, remember 233mhz and 32megs ram. The
Gentoo looks like a good option, but I am worried
about the complexity of the install. This leaves me
with 2 questions of course...

1. What is the popular opinion of DSL and the
available packages for it?  It appears that if
installed to the HD it installs as debian. will I be
able to run apt-get and install any standard
debian-compatible packages?

2. Does anyone know if Debian will be too sluggish on
this hardware?  If so, what can be done to slim it
down?

One last idea I have is this... I have windows 2000
running extraordinarily slowly on it right now(I got
it that way). I could run a windows based linux
installer on it, or I could put a boot loader and
source media on the hard disk and reboot that way.
Any suggestions as far as this goes?