[PLUG] Gigabit switch recommendations

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:13:46 UTC 2007

Cost-wise, you'll be better off buying several 8-port switches (or
similar port-density) and patching them together to achieve the same
total port count, than paying for a single device with a higher count
in-chassis.  Netgear 8-port gigabit switches are cheap, functional,
and good enough for home-office use, IMO.   If you want higher-end
manageable gear, I'd be happy to give suggestions as well.  I always
prefer to have the best equipment I can afford :)

When you say your 10/100 router, is that a consumer broadband router,
or an actual multi-link routing device?  There are several models of
consumer devices that have even gigabit switches (usually 4-port)
onboard... but it's useless considering american broadband speeds
(unless you're on direct fiber).  I'd suggest upgrading to whatever
model that has the feature set you want, and chaining your gigabit
switches one of the ports from the gateway device.  That way you have
full gig connetions between all devices excepting the internet
gateway, which is the bottleneck outbound anyway.   If you have only
100mbit ports on the gateway's onboard switch, make sure you don't
plug each switch into one of those ports, or you obviously restrict
bandwidth between switches.

I've personally just picked up an Apple Airport Extreme, the newer one
with 802.11n, and am quite happy... the only caveat so far is the need
to have a windows VM around to modify it if none of my mac laptops are
at home.  Several companies are making similar parts with built-in web
interfaces and nearly-identical feature sets now.

/eli