[PLUG] Gigabit switch recommendations

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 05:11:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:45:18 -0700
"Quentin Hartman" <qhartman at gmail.com> dijo:

> On 8/13/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >   Therefore, I am in the market for a
> > 24-port gigabit switch.
>

> I've had good experiences with Netgear, SMC, Dell, and HP; in increasing
> order of price. If you don't want / need management, the Netgear or SMC tier
> will serve you well. If you do, HP has a new line, the 1800 series which is
> very nice, and quite affordable for the feature they offer. A 24-port, IIRC,
> runs about $500. It has all the management bells and whistles you could ask
> for, except STP and similar "enterprise class" redundancy and
> high-availability sorts of things.
>
> I'd also have to warn away from the suggestion of daisy-chaining several
> smaller switches. Speaking as someone who has had as many as five, and
> currently has 3, switches in a my home "wiring closet", I long for the day
> when I will have the unallocated disposable income to replace them with a
> single device. The extra cabling and complexity is a constant hassle, and
> getting away from that would be worth the cost of a switch.

Thanks to you and others for the responses.

After more consideration (and looking at prices) I have decided I can
do with a 16-port switch. Some of the jacks I installed in the house
are only in case I decide to move furniture, so 24 ports are not
essential.

I am considering the Netgear GS116 16-port switch. Fry's has it for
$149.00:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4094232?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I found lots of more expensive switches (way more expensive!), but they
all had features that I don't think I need. I just have a home office
and all I want is throughput. On the other hand, I don't understand
what some of the features of the expensive models really do. If anyone
has any negative comments about the GS-116, I'd be interested in
hearing them. Also, alternative options.

> I also need to replace my 10/100 router. Do they make router/switch
> > combos? Would that be a better idea than separate switch and router?
> > Any recommendations?
>
> Assuming you mean a typical SOHO router, I'd have to ask why you want to
> replace it. I'd suggest just plugging into your gig switch and getting on
> with life. They do make converged router / switch devices for the home
> market, but I only recall seeing one that did gigabit, which seems to be
> your main goal; and it certianly was not 24 ports.

After further looking it appears that router-switch combos are not easy
to find, and are more expensive than separate components.

However, my router is only 10/100, so I suppose I should upgrade
it to gigabit also. Now I need to go research routers. :(