[PLUG] reply-to curiosity...

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Wed Aug 15 09:00:05 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, someone wrote:
>> Is there some reason why the reply-to for many postings on this list
>> is set to the author's email address?  Am I alone in considering this
>> policy annoying.
>
> The Reply-To header should always be set to the author's address.  The
> fact that this list munges the headers to set them to the list address
> is not only annoying, but downright broken.

There are many "reply-to-harmful" and "reply-to-not-harmful" opinions out there.

This list is both a community and a very useful knowledge base.
Reply-to-the-list keeps that knowledge flowing back to the community.  It is
more useful for this kind of technical list to have the occasional oops
regarding a private message, than many oops' of useful technical replies heading
towards a private mailbox with no list follow up.

I say keep it the way it is.  At a minimum you get a chuckle out of a private
reply.  At a maximum you get a glimpse into someone's true intentions and
personality.  Occasionally you get an accidental phone # into the archives,
which the admin should be able to help with.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.