[PLUG] reply-to curiosity...

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Aug 15 10:04:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Jim Karlock wrote:
> This is like people in a room - when I reply to your comment I expect
> everyone to hear it. If I want it to go only to your I'll do something
> unusual, like whisper in you ear or look through the headers for you
> email address.

Really?  Because when I'm in a room with a bunch of folks, I'll talk to
the person I'm facing in a polite voice, but if I want the whole room to
hear, I'll speak up and maybe even ask for attention before doing so.
Just seems way more polite than shouting everything to everyone.

But the real point here (despite very dumb analogies) is that neither
replying to the sender alone nore the list alone is particularly difficult
without the Reply-To munged, but replying to the sender alone is hard
with the Reply-To munged.

So we can fix the list and be RFC compliant or we can do things the
ignorant, arrogant way that is not only against RFC but assumes people are
stupid and won't do what they want.

J.