[PLUG] Verizon FIOS, Linux, Uptime

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:08:14 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> offsite server can connect to.  I can potentially offer a lot
> more stuff than will fit on the 5 Gbytes of the offsite server.
> Bittorrent?  Limited media servers?  I will have to throttle
> the bandwidth usage of these extra services, of course, so that
> Verizon does not cancel me.  Worst case, I go back to Comcast.

While going back to Comcast probably isn't a problem, going back to
DSL, or even standard phone, might be:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003782083_verizoncopper10.html

Apparently it's non-trivial to get Verizon to leave your existing
copper in place when they do a FIOS install.

I have no personal experience with this, but it's worth knowing about
before you make the plunge.

--Rogan