[PLUG] Verizon FIOS, Linux, Uptime

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Wed Aug 15 21:31:13 UTC 2007

Circa 14:00:16 on Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Anybody have Verizon FIOS working with their Linux systems?

*raises hand*

[...]
> Like Comcast, Verizon does not permit servers, but [...]

Specifically, they block port 80. That's why I opted for a business
account (15/2 for $99.95/mo.). I run my own web and mail server at home.

> So, what are your experiences with Verizon FIOS?

In spite of being an early adopter (Sep 2005), the install was smooth
and the service has been rock solid. I've had 100% uptime (discounting
PGE failures). However, as you might expect, the level 1 support techs
haven't a clue. Fortunately, other than a post-install issue, I haven't
had to call.

> Restrictions?

As noted above - but none for my business class account.

> Performance?

As promised, measured with a variety of online tools.

> Uptime?

100% as long as PGE doesn't interfere...

 14:25:53 up 243 days, 15:36,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.01

Circa 14:08:14 on Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Rogan Creswick wrote:
[...]
> Apparently it's non-trivial to get Verizon to leave your existing
> copper in place when they do a FIOS install.

If you get a business (aka data only) account, they won't snip your
copper if you make it clear to them that's what you want. I still have
POTS on my landline.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org