[PLUG] Verizon FIOS, Linux, Uptime

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Aug 15 21:56:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 02:08:14PM -0700, Rogan Creswick wrote:
..
> Apparently it's non-trivial to get Verizon to leave your existing
> copper in place when they do a FIOS install.

Thanks for the info and pointer.  I would like to keep the copper,
but the phone wires in our area are 50 years old and pretty flaky
anyway, so if I go back to Comcast I can live with the Verizon
battery box outside to power the phones.  I have a UPS system and
a generator to keep it alive in an extended emergency.

Note that some systems such as the LifeLine personal monitors (such
as my mother used in her last independent years) do not work well
with anything but old-style POTS copper.  Hopefully there are modern
offerings that do, if such become needful.

Keith

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service, BTW.