[PLUG] Verizon FIOS, Linux, Uptime

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Aug 15 23:34:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 02:00:16PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I am on Comcast now, but they are down about 10 times per year, and
---8<-----
> On the other hand, the Verizon upload speed is claimed to be 2Mbps
> instead of Comcast 128Kbps,

Yikes. You must have the Extra-Crappy package. I haven't had any
downtime at all (not since I replaced the crummy coax they provided,
at least), and uplink is a reliable 392 kb. Several months ago I noticed
that the first few seconds of uploads were getting fantastic rates
(upwards of 2 Mb). I assumed Comcast was making "burst" allowances to
pad their scores on bandwidth tests, or something.

--
Paul