[PLUG] Citrix aquires XenSource

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Aug 16 00:10:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 03:33:10PM -0700, Kris wrote:
> http://www.xensource.com/about/Pages/CitrixAcquisition.aspx

Smart move by Citrix, and I'm glad they beat M$ to it.  Virtualization
is the buzzword-du-jour now that users have discovered that Winders is
happiest in a VM and vendors have discovered that VMs sell fa$ter boxes.

Except for hosting and testing (and maybe clustering), I don't get the
value of Linux-inna-VM but I'm willing to be enlightened.

> And I just started migrating away from VMware-server to Xen on etch.
> I wonder if the (F\f)ree version will live on, or if I should be
> evaluating kvm at this point.

The current Xen is GPL and in the kernel, so you're safe.  I think KVM
can run VMware and/or Xen images so you may be even safer.