[PLUG] Crossover Linux slow...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Aug 18 18:53:39 UTC 2007

> > VMware server is cheaper than both.
>
> I've forgotten ... the original goal was to get a game running, right?
> P3 desktops are dirt cheap these days -- pick one up, load Windows 2000
> Professional on it and use a *real* machine.

Anyone can run an illegal copy of 2000 on a cheap PIII.  I really don't
want to.  Hoping that Microsoft won't care is pushing your luck.  My
vmware installations of XP are legal, but that route still forces me
to come up with a usable copy of Windows.  Microsoft Office 2003 seems
to work fine in CrossoverLinux, which is just wine taken a step further.
I went ahead and bought the standard version.  Number one, I want the
product to get better.  Two, it will support software I might have to
use without pulling out Microsoft Windows.  The license, which I read,
seems to respect the GPL, LGPL, and BSD licenses on various parts of
CrossoverLinux.  The idea of bottles is very appealing for dealing with
Windows apps.

Full screen Warcraft II runs too slow even in
VMware Workstation 6.0 which I don't have an evaluation license
for anymore.  The player doesn't seem to allow full screen.  For
a game that will work on a Pentium 90 to run too slow even under
emulation on a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz machine strikes me as odd.

I have enough computers as it is.

     Michael C. Robinson