[PLUG] ATI/Sapphire Radeon 9550 Driver

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Mon Aug 20 01:26:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: plug at pdxlinux.org
> Subject: [PLUG] ATI/Sapphire Radeon 9550 Driver
>
>  I just swapped in the new Sapphire/ATI Radeon 9550 video card to enable
> 1440x900 dip resolution on the new wide screen monitor. Naturally, X does
> not like having the old r128 driver specified in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
>  Looking via Google for information on what driver to specify, I stopped at
> the ATI web site and they have a proprietary driver available for download.
> I suspect that there's already a suitable driver in the modules for the
> running 2.6.19.2 kernel, but I've no idea which one to use.
>
>  Does anyone know what works with this chipset?
>
> Rich

This post has nothing to help with your resolution issue, rather it
addresses the other problems you're likely to have with your ATI card.
I have been working on mine all day, and here's the best howto I found
to get DRI working properly:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

Check out the glxgears numbers I get now:

root at hly19809lx:/usr/src/linux# glxgears
13359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2671.735 FPS
13725 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2744.933 FPS
13706 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2741.110 FPS
13738 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2747.431 FPS

I was getting 150 FPS before.

Incidentally, I have the following card, and it is doing 1680x1050
with no funny stuff in xorg.conf.  But my Xorg.0.log shows it as a
perfectly normal video mode.  Sorry I can't help with this one.
Perhaps "future" means a future release of the radeon driver?  The
only other alternative would be a future version of the card, which
would be bad news.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350
[Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

There is a kernel driver called fb_radeon, and also an Xorg module
called xf86-video-ati which provides a module called radeon.  You want
the radeon driver from xorg.  Don't even build the fb_radeon module,
or it may try to load, and then conflict with the radeon driver.  I
build only the vesa module for emergencies.

Carlos Konstanski