[PLUG] ATI/Sapphire Radeon 9550 Driver -- 1440x900 DPI Achived!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 20 17:58:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Paul Mullen wrote:

> Have you given X a chance to configure itself. Maybe it'll "just work".
> Try `X -configure` as root, which should result in an Xorg.conf.new in
> /root.

Everyone:

   It's working in 1440x900 dpi resolution now, and my eyeballs are starting
to return to normal. It was quite a strain looking at the
horizontally-stretched characters in both text and GUI applications. Thank
you all!

   Using the search term 'Modeline 1440x900' in Google, I found a blog
addressing this exact issue with the Acer AL1916W monitor. It had a modeline
that works, and another one that increases the vertical refresh rate from
75.0 Hz to 76.24 Hz:

Modeline "1440x900" 136.0 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +HSync +VSync

   I put this in the Monitor section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, killed the
Xserver, and restarted it. And here it is! It looks great in analog mode,
but I'll pick up the DVI-D cable for $10 and give that a try, too.

   As usual, I learned a lot from you, and I appreciate your contributions.