[PLUG] ssh: Too many authentication failures

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Aug 28 01:12:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 01:07:11PM -0700, alan wrote:
> Do you have denyhosts installed?

Keith, with more information ...

Denyhosts is a tool that adds IP addresses to /etc/hosts.deny when
there are too many failed ssh attempts.  I run it, it is very useful
to stop system cracking attempts, but occasionally it will catch
fumble-fingered goodguys too.  If you have denyhosts installed (and
you should if you have public-facing ssh) to use a text editor remove
the non-offending IP address from both /etc/hosts and various files
in /usr/share/denyhosts/data/*.  You should also *add* the non-offending
IP to the /usr/share/denyhosts/data/allowed-hosts file, so the lockout
does not re-occur.

Or else, u shud nevre mayk tiepeng musteakz.

Keith