[PLUG] The PLUG Wiki

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Aug 28 19:35:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 09:28 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> We have a choice to make for the wiki, concerning secure write access
> versus frequent deletion of wikispam.  We can make write access to
> the wiki controlled by an Apache password or some other means, so that
> only "approved" people can write to it.  That violates the spirit of
> wiki, though.  Or we can open it up to anyone who wishes to sign up,
> and actively clean out the wikispam that inevitably appears.  That
> will involve many of us spending actual clock time checking "recent
> changes" and reverting spammed pages, and turning off user accounts
> that get abused for spam.

It is a concern, but on my wiki I require creating an account and also
implement the BadContent stuff that Aaron mentioned, using the global
blacklist described here:
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/AntiSpamGlobalSolution

It's a little sub-optimal because it causes saves to take longer than
necessary and on occasion time-out, but it has so far prevented all
spam.

Wil