[PLUG] Syllable...

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 06:26:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:06:11 -0800
someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> dijo:

> I decided for the heck of it to look for alternative operating systems to
> Linux and Windows.  One I'd really like to see stabilized is ReactOS because
> it has the potential to run software written for Windows better than wine
> can.  Another one I'm looking at is Syllable.  I guess Syllable is a fork off
> of Atheos, though I admit I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it offers
> that other
> OS'es don't already provide.  It boots fast, I'll give it that.  I found
> it difficult to determine that the initial root password is root.  This
> Andrew file system, what's the big deal about it?  IF Syllable has a unique
> API, it's main site doesn't seem to talk about it much.  I guess the
> system is still in development.  Anyone else play around with Syllable, the
> desktop operating system?

Always curious about stuff, I downloaded and burned the live CD.

It gave me a 640 x 480 display, although the screen settings cheerfully offered to set it up at 1680 x 1050. Unfortunately, doing so did not change the display. It did change what the screen settings window said I had - it said it was 1680 x 1050, but it was really 640 x 480.

It also failed to find my bluetooth mouse and my ethernet. I can forgive them the mouse, as bluetooth is pretty cutting edge. But my ethernet is bog standard.

I wish them all the luck in the world, but they've got a long way to go.