[PLUG] GnuCash

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 12 14:29:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I've been googling for the past several hours.

   Hope you didn't strain your throat. Gnucash is nice for personal finance
and tries to be applicable to businesses, too. But, there is a large
difference in the needs of each market and software that tries to bridge the
gap is usually much less efficient than those aimed at one market or the
other.

> Also, are there any small business alternatives besides GnuCash and
> QuickBooks?

   I strongly recommend SQL-Ledger <http://www.sql-ledger.com/>. While it has
more bells and whistles than many of us need, it includes everything that we
do need. It can appear overwhelming at first because it's designed for
manufacturing->distribution->retailing (including POS), but it's used by a
very broad range of product- and service-providing businesses employing 1 to
many people.

   Inventory is a central feature. I have various services and business
travel expenses as inventory items so I can use them when preparing an
invoice.

   I believe that there are filters for importing QuackBooks data; however,
since I never used any of those Intuit products I really don't know.