[PLUG] GnuCash

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Dec 12 15:40:59 UTC 2007

Kris wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>>    I strongly recommend SQL-Ledger <http://www.sql-ledger.com/>. While it has
>> more bells and whistles than many of us need, it includes everything that we
>> do need. It can appear overwhelming at first because it's designed for
>> manufacturing->distribution->retailing (including POS), but it's used by a
>> very broad range of product- and service-providing businesses employing 1 to
>> many people.
>
> Though I wouldn't give as strong a recommendation, I use SQL-Ledger for
> my company (16 person software dev/IT services).
>
> Web based is nice as I can give our accountants/tax-people remote access
>  and is OS agnostic for the end user.
>
> We are soon going to be using the check printing feature.
>
> A group of people were not happy with the way the project was being run
> and forked it into LedgerSMB (http://www.ledgersmb.org/).  I have no
> experience with this and looking at the website shows the latest release
> dated 5 days ago.

LedgerSMB is sponsored (?) by Command Prompt Inc.  I talked to Josh
Drake at the Postgresql Conference last month about LedgerSMB.  The
community had, interestingly enough, the same concerns that I had years
ago when I used SQL-Ledger.  These were mostly about the model.  I.e.
money was stored as floats, no real referential integrity, etc.  The
change log for LedgerSMB indicates even some logic/coding issues but I
suspect they are in both SQL-Ledger and LedgerSMB.
    This is not to 'dis' Dieter.  At the time I used SQL-Ledger I had a
payed support contact and even though I posted questions to the main
mailing list I usually got replies from Dieter before the post had made
it back to me.
    That is service.

I suggest you look at both.  Neither are trivial to install.

Rod