[PLUG] Memory leak???

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Dec 15 07:25:51 UTC 2007

On a CentOS 4.3 box yum  updated to 4.4 I have been watching the free store
via top and have been noticing it going down throughout the day.  I've had
to shut this box off the hard way a couple of times because it was thrashing.
Question is, what's the culprit?

NFS

Apache 2

PHP

Perl

vsftpd

Spamassassin

Postfix

Bind 9

kernel 2.6.9-42.0.8.plus.c4 #1 Wed Jan 31 09:13:16 EST 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Why isn't the swap space being used?

Is there a way to do garbage collection or otherwise get the memory back
before the system starts to thrash?

How much do the 36 loop devices cost?  I followed the CD-Server HOWTO.

The box is maxed out at 512 megs of ram.

I'd hate to use cron to force a reboot every night.