[PLUG] Mambo

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Mon Dec 17 03:57:56 UTC 2007

I think the Joomla people would claim that Mambo is a fork of Mambo, and
Joomla is simply a renaming of Mambo.  As I understand, although mambo was
an open source project, the name was owned (as a trademark) by a private
company that was promoting the development of Mambo.  At some point,
there was a disagreement between the Mambo community and the company
that owned the name, which resulted in the two going in separate directions.
The company kept the name and maybe a little bit of the community for their
version.  The rest of the community started developing using the name Joolma.

I don't know how accurate this story is.  It was told to me by a couple
Joolma developers, who were probably somewhat biased.

Joolma is a very popular CMS.  I haven't ever used it, but I have looked
at it and it looks very nice to me.  Joolma uses standard things like
php and mySQL and apache; so it should be fairly easy to setup and
use with most web hosting services.

  Sincerely,
  David Mandel
  Chief Activist