[PLUG] Windows symbolic links?

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Mon Dec 17 15:42:10 UTC 2007

Ed Sawicki wrote:
> I've had my head down programming for the past several
> weeks so I haven't been paying attention. Someone recently
> suggested that Windows now has the equivalent of UNIX/Linux
> symbolic links in (one of) its filesystems. He didn't have
> any details.
>
> I'm aware of NTFS junction points, which I don't consider
> to have the functionality of symbolic links. Has anything
> else been introduced that has symbolic links functionality?

Windows Vista and later has the feature, it appears to be more similar
to "real" symbolic links than junction points are: "Symbolic links are
designed to aid in migration and application compatibility with UNIX
operating systems. Microsoft has implemented its symbolic links to
function just like UNIX links."

wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

--Brent