[PLUG] Low cost fileserver

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Dec 17 23:56:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Larry Brigman wrote:
> So what is the deciding factor, cost or power?

There's a tipping point for both, naturally.

I won't go for a full PC option for power concerns (though for price,
surely that's the way to go).

I simply can't spend more than around $300.

> I would recommend Dlink DNS-323.  A little more up scale than what you
> are asking about but certainly worth a look.

I looked at this first, actually.

It's not expandable at all.  I feel a bit like it's a dead-end solution.
I suppose I should have included life-cycle and waste-time in my criteria.

I think it's pretty straightforward to put up to four four-bay enclosures
on the NSLU2 (though that would be insane).  Also, I have a pair of 300GB
IDE drives and the DNS-323 only takes SATA.

J.