[PLUG] Low cost fileserver

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Tue Dec 18 01:39:23 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> So I'm looking for some kind of low cost, low power fileserver.  I think
> either it should be in the $200 range and support two IDE drives (yeah,
> that's the power problem, isn't it?) or should be under $100 and support
> USB 2.0 (for external drive enclosures).

One of these might work:
http://wdlsystems.com/ebox/ebox.shtml

The 2300SX is $90 and has 3x USB 2.0.  I'm going to replace my aging
full size firewall with one of these and a pair of USB drives (or
possibly compact flash/usb flash drives).

I'm pretty sure they'll handle a full OS install with no hacking.  We're
soon going to be using 60 of them as thin clients for a edubuntu LTSP
lab at a high school.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.