[PLUG] Low cost fileserver

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Dec 18 01:52:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Kris wrote:
> One of these might work:
> http://wdlsystems.com/ebox/ebox.shtml
>
> The 2300SX is $90 and has 3x USB 2.0.

That appears to not include a power supply -- add $10.

> I'm going to replace my aging full size firewall with one of these and a
> pair of USB drives (or possibly compact flash/usb flash drives).

It only lists one ethernet.  How are you goinng to use it as a firewall?
USB ethernet?

> I'm pretty sure they'll handle a full OS install with no hacking.
> We're soon going to be using 60 of them as thin clients for a edubuntu
> LTSP lab at a high school.

These look pretty good.  I'm a little curious what the install procedure
would be like having only a CF.  Would I have to make a bootable flash
card and go from there?  Would I have to set up some kind of TFTP boot
server?

In essence, it's not much different from what I want to do with the NSLU2
-- boot from a flash memory device and load it up with USB2.0 disk
enclosures.  The price is just a little higher, but the performance should
be a lot better (assuming I can get past the install).

hmm.
Je.