[PLUG] Low cost fileserver

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Tue Dec 18 02:04:44 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>> I'm going to replace my aging full size firewall with one of these and a
>> pair of USB drives (or possibly compact flash/usb flash drives).
>
> It only lists one ethernet.  How are you goinng to use it as a firewall?
> USB ethernet?

802.1q trunking is worth the cost savings of having to get a 2-eth
version (say, the 3852, which is $250).

>> I'm pretty sure they'll handle a full OS install with no hacking.
>> We're soon going to be using 60 of them as thin clients for a edubuntu
>> LTSP lab at a high school.
>
> These look pretty good.  I'm a little curious what the install procedure
> would be like having only a CF.  Would I have to make a bootable flash
> card and go from there?  Would I have to set up some kind of TFTP boot
> server?

When I installed Debian 4.0 on a 3853, I used a USB cdrom drive and the
compact flash disk was detected as a regular disk (I can't remember if
SCSI or IDE).  Installed like a normal HD, no issues.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.