[PLUG] Low cost fileserver

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Tue Dec 18 07:47:51 UTC 2007

I have a bunch of Free Geek computers. Actually I could build my $300.00 PC on my website for only $200.00 and it would kick but. The problem is I need the money to build it. Well maybe after Tex gets a small cut of my first months donations from Ultumix I can still afford it? http://www.mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=1513.0

Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote: >>>>> "Eric" == Eric Wilhelm  writes:

Eric> Have you checked the current draw of a new, good, mid-power atx
Eric> supply vs the collection of wall-warts that will be involved in
Eric> powering the external usb enclosure(s)?

Eric> With a slower cpu, but a new (micro atx?) motherboard, your
Eric> drives are probably going to consume more power than the PC.
Eric> Putting everything on one large power supply is likely to be
Eric> more efficient -- it may hardly notice the presence of cpu+mobo
Eric> in comparison to the drives.

Eric> So, get a random PIII computer from Free Geek, then buy the most
Eric> efficient, cool-running drives and power-supply you can afford?

I worry about the little MIPS boards capacity to serve files in a
timely fashion.  You might consider this instead:

  http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/08/via-offers-a-cheapo-gpc-dev-kit-motherboard/

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net