[PLUG] Are dual core processors really worth it?

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:05:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 10:06 PM, Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org> wrote:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> > As far as I know, *nobody* -- not MacOS Leopard, not Windows, not
> > Solaris and not any flavor of Linux -- is 100 percent 64-bit on AMD64
> > platforms yet. But just about everybody has working SMP, so both of the
> > cores are being exploited.
>
> You're right about the latest MacOS, virtually nothing is 64 bit - the
> only 64 bit software running on mine is Apache if you can believe the
> system profiler.
>
> --Brent

Um are you talking about *Leopard* not being 64bit?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html

As for software apps well that depends of course.  I don't know if iLife
would really benefit from 64bit-ness... Photoshop maybe.

And MacOS on AMD64 is a moot point for the foreseeable future, since Macs
only run on Intel.
Would I like to see a Mac with an AMD64?  Who wouldn't? ;)  I don't see it
happening any time soon though (officially).