[PLUG] Netgear WG511 v. 2

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Dec 23 08:30:31 UTC 2007

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

Russell> This is the currently maintained site for linux wireless
Russell> drivers:

Russell> http://linuxwireless.org/

John> And, as I said before, hopelessly incomplete and out of date.

Not really out of date, but definitely incomplete.  And hopefully not
hopelessly.  Compared to the state of affairs two years ago, I remain
hopeful.  The site reflects the current development effort to create a
coherent wifi stack in Linux and to provide open source drivers to
hook into that stack.  As I've said several times before on this list,
that work is incomplete, but it is getting better.

John> It doesn't even mention PCMCIA cards at all. And the sort is
John> based on driver, not chipset or card. Even though I finally got
John> my Netgear WG511 working there is not one mention of it on that
John> site. If that site claims to be official, it needs a ton of
John> work.

The canonical response to criticism of that nature in the open source
world is:

 -ENOPATCH

Help make things better and they'll get better.  Whine about things
not being better and be prepared to watch them stay the same.  If you
can't help make things better, wait, and remember to say "Thank you"
when, eventually, they are.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net