[PLUG] Netgear WG511 v. 2

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 22:38:43 UTC 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:34:59 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:39:51 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
> > So this thing is junk. Luckily I paid only $17 for it.
> >
> > Is anyone in PLUG-land successfully using a PCMCIA wireless card with 64-bit Linux?
>
> Never mind. I finally got it working. I found a 64-bit Windows driver:
>
> http://www.skd.de/e_en/support/driver_searchresults.html?navanchor=&term=typ.treiber+produkt.SK-54C1&produkt=produkt.SK-54C1&typ=typ.treiber&system=
>
> Evidently some German outfit uses the same chip in their product and
> they made a 64-bit Windows driver. Network Manager now shows wlan0 and
> wlan1 and the little green light is flashing.
>
> Now all I have to do is figure out which is wlan0 and which is wlan1
> (my internal Intel 4965AGN and the Netgear WG511). I suppose I could
> just turn off the 4965AGN in the BIOS, since its the one that keeps
> hanging up on me.

I spoke too soon. The machine locks up now. So far it has not locked up
while I am using it, only when the screensaver comes on or goes off. It
is set up to run the screensaver for 30 minutes, then go to black
screen. Moving the mouse or hitting any key restores it. But now I come
back after a couple hours away and it is locked up on a black screen. I
suspect that the power management is trying to turn off the wireless to
save battery when it goes to the black screen. There must be a bug in
there somewhere and it's locking up the computer. The Thinkpad e-list I
subscribed to is full of discussions about problems with power saving.

I just came back after being away for a couple hours and had to reboot.
But this time I popped the Netgear WG511 out before booting. We'll see
if it still locks up. Meantime I'll research the Thinkpad e-list archives.