[PLUG] Loss of symbolic link on re-boot

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Dec 26 05:14:51 UTC 2007

Why would I lose a symbolic link when I re-boot the machine?

OS:  Linux 2.6.16.53-0.16-default i686
System:  SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586)
KDE:  3.5.1 Level "a"

I have a link to ttyS0 called ttyX10. ttyX10 disappears whenever I have
to re-boot. I don't have to re-boot often, so I'm usually wondering what
happened when the lights don't go on or off as expected. It happened
recently enough before today that I remembered what I needed to look for.

The sequence of events, after re-booting, is as follows:

rsteff at Moonguide:~> x10 info
x10: can't open tty line

Moonguide:/dev # ls -l ttyX10
/bin/ls: ttyX10: No such file or directory
Moonguide:/dev # ln -s ttyS0 ttyX10
Moonguide:/dev #

rsteff at Moonguide:~> x10 info
Interface clock: Tuesday, 21:02
Housecode = k

(The reason for re-booting is in another post.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens