[PLUG] Adding USB card reader hangs machine, sometimes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 26 20:20:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Russell Senior wrote:

> I've seen a few instances of this recently. I was able to log in over the
> network and kill X, but the keyboard didn't come back. I negligently
> failed to diagnose the problem further and just rebooted to get the
> keyboard back. /usr/bin/lsof might have been interesting.

   In one case I was able to startx from the login prompt. In the other case
I had to remotely kill the login process, log in again, then startx.

   Strange. But, I acccept it as a quirk of the X Window System which is
complicated and beyond my understanding. As long as I can recover from these
rare instances via a remote login, I just let it go. The incidents are many
fewer than they were with DOS or winduhs.