[PLUG] laptop and suspend/hibernate woes

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Thu Dec 27 19:46:37 UTC 2007

Thanks for the pointer, Aaron - i've been working on this for a few days.

One laptop is about six months old,  the other is just under 3 yrs old,
and the latter's BIOS has been updated to no avail.

The symptoms of my suspend/hibernate problems are fairly common:
- suspend: screen goes blank, then the dialog appears showing that the
screen is locked. When i unlock it, there's an alert telling me that
there was a suspend problem and to check the docs.
- hibernate: screen flashes a bit, goes dark. Sometimes the "locked
screen" dialog appears, sometimes not (depending on boot params) and i
have to power-cycle the machine.

potentially useful lines from the 120 produced by "dmesg | grep -i acpi"
on the newer one, with commentary in <>:
-------------
ACPI: BIOS bug: multiple APIC/MADT found, using 0
ACPI: If "acpi_apic_instance=2" works better, notify
linux-acpi at vger.kernel.org
< using "acpi_apic_instance=2" on the kernel boot command line made no
difference in behavior, although the first of these lines reflected that
instance 2 was in use>

ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initramfs... error, file /DSDT.aml not found.
<this one disturbs me - i found a few references to it, but nothing that
adresses it directly>

ACPI: System BIOS is requesting _OSI(Linux)
ACPI: Please test with "acpi_osi=!Linux"
<adding "acpi_osi=!Linux" to the command line made no difference, and
these messages still appeared>

<the following lines tell me that hardware detection is working ok>
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing

pnp: PnP ACPI init
ACPI: bus type pnp registered
pnp: PnP ACPI: found 12 devices
ACPI: ACPI bus type pnp unregistered
PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing

ACPI: CPU0 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2] C3[C3])
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)

ACPI: CPU1 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2] C3[C3])
ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)
ACPI: Invalid passive threshold

 ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWB]
ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]

< the last line repeats 9 or 10 times>
ACPI: Invalid passive threshold
------------------

i also tried boot parameters "pci=noacpi" which didn't fix
suspend/hibernate but did significantly slow the loading of Gnome.
"noapic" made no difference.

for what it's worth, i'm using the native Nvidia drivers, but have
followed all the tips for modifying /etc/default/acpi-support and
xorg.conf (which i know only too well from trying to get the other
laptop with its ATI video to behave).

i've also tried disabling compiz (tried that first), though it made no
difference in any of the command line boot options i ran through.

At one point, i saw tan error when trying to hibernate, "swsusp: cannot
find swap device, try swapon -a" - it turns out that the failed
hibernate attemps had corrupted the swap partition. Fixed that, and
added "resume=UUID=<swap partition UUID>" to Grub, and it seems like
swap works even after a hibernate failure.

i found this very detailed ACPI how-to on the Gentoo wiki, and may have
to try the DSDT override, but i don't have the stomach for it right now.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems

Again, thanks for the sugestion, it pointed me to more info than i'd
previously found.

Joe