[PLUG] Adding USB card reader hangs machine, sometimes

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Dec 28 00:54:02 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Ross" == Ross Brattain <ross at principia.edu> writes:

Ross> The magic sysrq key is designed to solve some of these problems.

Ross> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key or
Ross> /(your-kernel-source)/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Ross> In particular the 'Alt-SysRq-r' key should switch the keyboard
Ross> from raw mode to XLATE.

Ross> You have to enable it in the kernel usually (I don't think it's
Ross> the default), with the CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ option.

Ross> I haven't had this particular problem to test, but I have had
Ross> occasion to use the

Ross> Alt-SysRq- s (for sync) - u (for remount read-only) - b (for
Ross> instant reboot) sequence, which is a subset of the R-E-I-S-U-B
Ross> sequence as reference in the Wikipedia article.

FWIW, I have tried Alt-SysRq when the keyboard was hosed, and none of
it worked.  I understand you can do equivalent things via a
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq interface.  Haven't tried that.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net