[PLUG] Mondo configuration: Translation?

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 08:31:25 UTC 2007

"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote: Robert Kopp wrote:
> With some effort, I installed Mondo Rescue on SuSE 10.3 x64. According to Mondo:

I'm really curious -- what's the use case for this piece of crap?

(Hey ... if it can insult you, I can insult it!) :)
I'd heard rave reviews for this software elsewhere--I believe it has been used by NASA (though it is no longer maintained), but apparently you have a dissenting opinion :-)

Anyhow, some people, including me, like to have an image backup of their system, such that one can boot from a CD and restore everything in the event that the installation becomes corrupted. Acronis TrueImage will do this, but the filesystem of the storage medium must be NTFS, and it uses a proprietary format for the backup. (Mondo uses .tar.) Anyhow, would you like to suggest something that serves this purpose better, preferably open-source?

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/