[PLUG] Mondo configuration: Translation?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 31 15:42:49 UTC 2007

Robert Kopp wrote:

> "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote: Robert Kopp wrote:
>> With some effort, I installed Mondo Rescue on SuSE 10.3 x64. According to Mondo:
>
> I'm really curious -- what's the use case for this piece of crap?
>
> (Hey ... if it can insult you, I can insult it!) :)
> I'd heard rave reviews for this software elsewhere--I believe it has been used by NASA (though it is no longer maintained), but apparently you have a dissenting opinion :-)
>
> Anyhow, some people, including me, like to have an image backup of their system, such that one can boot from a CD and restore everything in the event that the installation becomes corrupted. Acronis TrueImage will do this, but the filesystem of the storage medium must be NTFS, and it uses a proprietary format for the backup. (Mondo uses .tar.) Anyhow, would you like to suggest something that serves this purpose better, preferably open-source?
>

> Robert "Tim" Kopp
> http://analytic.tripod.com/

There are oodles of rescue CDs that will do similar tasks. I'd go
hunting for the best documented, personally. A lot of people use Knoppix
that way, and it's certainly well documented, although it isn't nearly
as popular as it used to be. My systems are all Gentoo, and the Gentoo
LiveCD works just fine for everything I want to do.

There's a CD available with "CloneZilla" and "GParted" on it. The LiveCD
List (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php) has 35 "rescue" CDs
available. (But not Mondo) :)

By a strange quirk of fate, I buzzed through a number of them late last
week ... I'm looking for one that will boot without a monitor, so I can
bring a machine up headless.